Thursday, June 19, 2008

Who am I?

Who am I? Only three teams have more home wins than I do. I have the sixth highest scoring margin in the league. I have allowed the fifth-fewest runs. I am only two runs shy of top 10 ranking in runs scored. I have lost only 11 games by more than three runs, which is the same number as the Cardinals, who are 11 games over .500, and only two more than the AL-leading Red Sox (9). However, I am currently one game under .500 and trail the division leader by 5 ½ games.

How is this possible, you might ask? Well, for one, I inexplicably lead the league in road losses. Yes, I even have more road losses than the Royals and Rockies. Defying all logical explanation, I have a 4-17 record in one-run games. By the way, the mathematical odds of that happening are less than one half of a percent. I lost my first eight one-run games. I have a 1-7 record in extra innings games.

If you took the time to check ESPN or simply know the one team I give enough of a crap about to look up all these useless facts, then you know the answer is …the Atlanta Braves.

I honestly have no idea what the heck is going on here. According to ESPN’s “Expected Wins” stat, the Braves should be 11 games over .500, not 1 game under. The only other team with that big of a differential is the LA Angels, who are somehow 13 games over .500 and lead the AL West with an essentially even scoring margin. Maybe by writing this, some of the Angels luck will transfer to the Braves…

No comments: