Monday, January 7, 2008

Pulitzer Prize, here I come!

This just in! Jacksonville defensive lineman Paul Spicer made inflammatory statements regarding the New England Patriots as recently as September of 2007! And he failed to take them back when given a chance to do so!! Can you believe the nerve of this guy?

According to ESPN.com, “If the undefeated Patriots need bulletin board material for their playoff game Saturday night against the Jaguars, they have it now.” Agreed! Of all the negative things said about New England over the last four months, the Patriots will surely use this nugget of gold to fire them up. For example, Spicer absurdly claimed, in reference to the Spygate scandal, "Do like the NCAA and kick them out of the playoffs or something." He then proceeded to blaspheme "This ain't news. I've heard it in the past. They finally got caught. The Patriots got caught. They're busted." When given the chance to recant his earlier outburst, Spicer retorted “I don't regret saying what I said. I'm a man of my word. I always speak my mind and that's what I felt at that time… If they got to bring up something said so long ago, let that be their motivational tool.” Well, you know what, Paul? You have just awakened the sleeping giant. I hope you’re happy. New England would not have been motivated to win this game at all, but thanks to you, they will have just the motivation they need to kick your Jaguar asses.

ESPN.com, we must bow at your feet. Your round-the-clock reporting has given us this great insight into the minds and psyches of NFL players and coaches everywhere. In fact, I am getting a mental image of Bill Belichick pulling out a newspaper from last September and whipping his team into frenzy. “Look at this Spicer joker! He thinks we shouldn’t be here. Well, golly, let’s show him that we do deserve to be here!”

Hopefully, NFL players will learn a lesson from Spicer's gaffe. Never state your opinions, much less make observations regarding recent controversial events, lest an opponent or some bored sportswriter bring them up a year later and make you look like the fool that you are.

No comments: